How to store Halloween decorations
Learn how to store Halloween decorations.
The day after Halloween, many of us take a look around our homes and yards only to feel a bit overwhelmed by all of the decorations we have accumulated and displayed for the Halloween season. While it’s a ton of fun to put out those decorations and display your love for Halloween, once the holiday passes, it’s not nearly as much fun to take it all down and find a place to store it.
You may feel the urge to just stuff it all in boxes as fast as you can and be done with it. However, it is important to store your decorations properly so that they will be in good condition when you take them out next year. Here are some tips on how to store your Halloween decorations.
1. Take down all of your decorations and put them in a designated spot
The best way to store your Halloween decorations is to take them all down and put them in a designated spot or two. This way, you can easily take inventory and sort the many items you have before packing it all up. A good way to do this may be to put all the outdoor decorations in one spot of your yard while putting all the indoor decorations in one spot inside your home.
2. Inspect each decoration for any damage and fix it if necessary
Before packing up your Halloween decorations, it is important to inspect each one for any damage. If you find any damage, fix it as necessary. This may include repairing any broken pieces, fixing any tears in the fabric, or replacing any damaged parts. By taking the time to do this, you can help ensure that your decorations will last for many Halloweens to come.
3. Clean all of the decorations before putting them away
It is important to clean all of your Halloween decorations before putting them away. This includes cleaning off any dirt, dust, or leaves that may have accumulated on them. By cleaning and inspecting your decorations before storing them away, you can help ensure that they will be in good condition when you take them out next year.
4. Store each decoration in the proper place
When storing your Halloween decorations, it is important to put each one in the proper place. This will help ensure that they stay in good condition and are easy to find when you take them out next year. Here are some tips on how to store your decorations properly.
- Store all items inside boxes, bins, or bags so that they are covered. Store those boxes, bins, or bags indoors, either in a garage, attic, basement, closet, or a Halloween storage unit.
- Put glass or delicate items back in the boxes they came in, then store those boxes in other boxes or Halloween storage bins. If you don’t have the original boxes, or they didn’t come with boxes, wrap delicate items in bubble wrap, newspaper, paper towel, or with some kind of packing materials to keep them safe.
- Put soft items in a Halloween storage box together, but don’t smush them all in. Leave room so that the items can maintain their shape and have room to breathe.
- When stacking boxes, put heavy items on the bottom. Don’t stack items that may be damaged by having something on top of them.
5. Label each box or container with the contents so you know what’s inside
By labeling each box or container with the contents, you can easily keep track of what is inside and find it when you need it. This will save you time and frustration when you are unpacking your decorations next year. If you are storing your items in a cramped space, like an attic, basement, or storage unit, this also will make it much easier to retrieve specific items as you can just read what is in the labeled Halloween storage box or bin instead of digging through boxes.
6. If you lack storage space, rent a self storage unit with Ace Self Storage
If you are running out of storage space in your home, consider renting a self storage unit with Ace Self Storage. Our units are clean, dry, and secure, and we have a variety of sizes to choose from so you can find the perfect fit for your needs. Contact us today to learn more and get started!